Saturday, June 18, 2011

Peeking at the Royals


So, here I am again, reporting from Royal Ascot about some interesting people we saw during the day.



Believe you me, checking out the horses was just part of the allure of the day--there were some interesting glimpses into the life of the rich and famous.



Before the race begins each day, the Queen and her guests make their way up a private road from Windsor Castle



to the racecourse.



Queen Elizabeth has been attending the races every year since 1945.



After making her way up the course each day of Ascot, they turn into the Parade Circle where we were waiting,



and there she alights from her open-topped landau carriage and makes her way to the Royal Box.



The largest race of the day was The Prince of Wales Stakes. HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip was the presenter. The Queen's husband had just celebrated his 90th birthday on Sunday at Windsor Castle with family and friends.



He presented the trophy to Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai, the owner of the winning horse, Rewilding.



Nearby was Queen Elizabeth's daughter, Princess Anne,



and I would have loved to know what those raised eyebrows were all about.



Finally, Katherine Jenkins, the classical/operatic pop singer from Wales who has been so popular of late, was watching the festivities near us as well. Now that's some hat!
And hats will be the theme of the next blog coming soon--you won't want to miss seeing some of the day's best and the quirkiest.

7 comments:

  1. Oh! So happy to see your posting pop up on my dashboard! Thanks so much for sharing. The Queen is such a lovely gracious lady! I'm always so thrilled when I catch glimpses of the royal couple on my trips to London. Looking forward to seeing more of your photos!
    Blessings!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got FANTASTIC shots Debi!! What a chance of a lifetime to attend! I'm in awe of your European experience and am so glad your are posting to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hat was perfect!
    That Princess Ann looks a little stuffy if you ask me... I'd rather have tea with the the queen and her 90 year old husband!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my, Debi! What a special view you've shared with us. The Queen and Prince Philip are amazing – they just carry on!

    As for Anne, well I've always wished she'd change her hairdo!

    Thank you again and can't wait for the hats! – g

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to go to Ascot. From your perspective and photos it looks like a lovely and great day. I do, however, feel sometimes a bit put off by the - ahem - somewhat questionable taste of some of the ladies there... Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. DEBI!! I have been away from my favorite blogs for a while and I see I have missed so much. You look smashing in your color-vivid ensemble and fantastically-substantial fascinator. Thanks for sharing the day, your sighting and insights...as always. Cheers to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I got to see your hat. Beautiful! Will you be wearing that to SE some Sunday?

    ReplyDelete