Friday, January 8, 2010

Movies with a British flair



One of the things I enjoy most about the Christmas holidays is the chance and the time to catch a few movies. Typically, any movies we see are on the plane going back and forth to London each month, but over the break, we actually paid money (way too much) to see a few shows. This season, there were a few with British flair.





Sherlock Holmes was a favorite for both my husband and me. I have to admit I did not know much about the story of Sherlock Holmes and his sidekick, Dr. Watson, as created by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, so I was viewing this film with fresh eyes. Adventure, humor, tension and a mystery to solve all added up to a lot of fun. A year ago, I remember being rather aggravated one day, when I took my mother who was visiting London to St. Paul's Cathedral, only to find that it was closed for the afternoon. Unbelievable--the church closed, and there was no sign of a special service going on! But, when we walked around the front, we discovered that they had just finished filming for an upcoming Sherlock Holmes movie. Little did I know at the time, that Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. might be in the vicinity, or I might have done a little sleuthing of my own, but sadly all I viewed were scattered hay, horses, and their deposits left behind.


Next trip to London, I hope to visit the Victorian era Brompton Cemetery which provided a backdrop for a major scene in the movie as well as the Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street. Evidently, there is a stand-in actor there who oversees  a faithfully recreated version of Sherlock Holmes' study, as well as all sorts of paraphernalia on view.


A second movie I would highly recommend seeing is The Young Victoria. The story of Queen Victoria's courtship and early married life is an historical romance with beautiful settings and costumes that enrich the story even more. Starring Emily Blunt, who has been nominated for a Golden Globe for her role as Victoria, and Rupert Friend, as her cousin, Albert, their friendship withstands the pressures of the court's expectations and blossoms into one of history's most poignant love stories. Produced along with others by Sarah Ferguson,  the movie also offers a quick cameo role for her daughter, Princess Beatrice, as a lady-in-waiting to the queen. My only complaint is that it left me longing for more, so perhaps the door is open for a sequel???? Perhaps The Not-So-Young Victoria, since she reigned for 63 years.




Not to be left out is a cute movie starring that lovable British actor, Hugh Grant. On a designated chick flick afternoon, the gals in our family headed out to see Did You Hear About the Morgans? Also starring Sarah Jessica Parker,  it's just a fun movie about a couple whose marriage is troubled, who are sent to Wyoming in the Witness Protection Program after witnessing a murder. Hugh Grant just makes me laugh because he reminds me of a few British men I know, none of whom are quite as handsome, but all of whom are just as charming. If you catch one of these, let me know if you enjoyed them like I did.





5 comments:

  1. When Kelly and Adrian were here, the whole family (minus Caleb) went to see Sherlock. It was very good. Young Victoria sounds like something I would enjoy. I'll have to try and catch it. And last, but not least, if I get to see Did You Hear About the Morgans, it will have to be with women friends because my sweet husband, who denies me almost nothing, would not set foot into a Hugh Grant movie if his very life depended on it. I think it all stems from the time I dragged him (kicking and screaming) to see The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain. Not one of Hugh's best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the movie reviews. we really enjoyed sherlock, too. i am
    a huge sir conan doyle fan and have read and reread sherlock many times. downey was brilliant, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debi,

    Thank you for stopping by.
    All 3 movies are on my list. I think the last one will be seen with the gals (not hub's type of thing).

    Your blog is lovely! I am adding it to my list.

    hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Young Victoria is playing for four more nights at our old downtown theater. Begging Scott to take me, but it's unseasonable COLD in FLorida right now, and he wants to hunker down and eat chili.

    We'll see...
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Debi I loved! the Sherlock Holmes movie. My husband and I were discussing that this year it seems there have only been a few truly "entertaining" movies and SH was way up there. If it didn't sound ridiculous I walked out of the theater feeling as if I wanted to write a thank you note to Mr. Ritchie for his dictorial tribute to his hometown and one of its fictional sons. As for The Young Victoria, I was all aquiver this summer when I heard it was coming out, but it has not hit Waco, TX yet. I remember long ago seeing a british mini series about the young victoria and albert and it was wonderful and such a surprise to see a strong love unfold for the young couple first for their higher calling to their duty and then most tenderly to each other. Thank you for sharing your recommendations plus the notecards on your later post are exquisite and I am hopping over to her site now.

    ReplyDelete