Saturday, December 12, 2009

London All Lit Up

London is all dressed up! Lights twinkling at every turn bring a sparkle to the season, especially on those gray, dreary days. The upside of it being dark by 4:30 each day is that you have more time each day to enjoy the lights. Let' s take a whirlwind tour starting with the huge bows overhead on Bond Street.

Oxford Street is one of the brightest streets of all with presents guiding you down the road.

Debenhams, a department store, is especially lovely, shimmering in gold.

Walking down New Bond Street is magical.

Continuing down Oxford Street, you find Selfridge's, another department store which outdid itself on its store windows. Its theme was Pantomime, and you'll recognize some of the characters that were being created.

From Sleeping Beauty, who's the fairest of them all?

Santa pulling two "ugly sisters" to the ball.

Watch our for mice....

Cinderella's coach has turned back into a pumpkin!

From Little Red Riding Hood, Grandmother, what big teeth you have!

Snow White wasn't left out of the action,

nor was Captain Cook.

And who's been sleeping in these bears' beds?

House of Fraser was all decked out in red.

Oxford Street took its theme from the new Disney movie, The Christmas Carol.

We can't leave out Carnaby Street, the seat of action in the early 60's,
as it spreads joy,

and hopes to Make Love, not War.

Hamley's, the hugely popular toy store on Regent Street, chose Bears as its theme, and so cute they were!

Cookie time.

The whole family comes together for dinner, but there are some shenanigans going on, like bears hanging from the chandelier

and a little cub being naughty!

And after an evening walk going from shop to shop, admiring street after street, it's peaceful to head home by way of the Burlington Arcade.
Happy Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. Lovely Christmas images, I need to hop on the Eurostar for a quick trip to London. Thank you for stoppping by my blog, enjoy your time in Paris this weekend - it's turned a bit chilly (possible light snow) but no rain. I'll sign off now I've finished my weather report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love looking at these gorgeous pictures as it is helping me re-live my London Christmas last year. We went to the winter wonderland in Hyde Park too and I am still using the cup that I received when I bought my mulled wine and German sausage.

    I will have to show this to hubby right now!

    Best wishes, Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the beautiful lights seem to float above the streets. Thanks for sharing the fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know the first time for my precious family to ever travel overseas was November (Thanksgiving time) of 2005 to Bath and London. Anna was 9 and Sara 7. Great ages. It was unseasonably cold in England that year and we were there as the London Christmas scene was revving up and was wonderous to us all. It was in a word..magical. London, lights abounding and shining out at the very dark 5pm, and the air of Christmas. Thanks for helping me relive that a bit with your wonderful pictures. Will you be in London at Christmas time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenny,
    I've really enjoyed being in London, Paris and Scotland this week, but as they say, "There's no place like home for the holidays," so I'm going to scoot on home to Houston to be with family for Christmas. I'll be carrying memories of the beautiful things I've seen with me.

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! I really like those arches on Oxford. Kelly

    ReplyDelete