Saturday, June 20, 2009

Father's Day

In honor of my dad whom I lost several years ago to cancer, I post something I wrote shortly after his death. Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there.

Things I Learned From My Daddy

I doubt my daddy ever knew the lessons he was teaching each day as he lived out his time on this earth. Now that he is enjoying God's glory, I think back to the many ways he made a difference in this world and what I learned from watching him.

1. People matter. In this world, we are blessed because our lives are intertwined with hundreds of people--take time to notice them. Step out of your close circle of friends to shake a hand, give a hug and recognize someone else who crosses your path.
2. Call people by name. Really work on learning names and greeting people as their lives intersect with yours.
3. Be intentional. Make a list of the people you want to encourage and then follow through. Your call may be the only one they get that day.
4. Everyone loves a sense of humor. Be the type of person everyone wants to laugh with. Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself.
5. Care for the widows. Give them a hug--it may be the only one they get all week. Take them to lunch, give them a call, buy them a Christmas gift.
6. Visit those who are sick or homebound. Your presence gives them a lift that medicine could never provide.
7. Be generous. Don't miss opportunities to share what you have when the chance comes your way.
8, Don't get so busy that you don't have time to visit with others. Give the gift of time to people who need you.
9. Cherish your children. Adore them, praise them, support them, sacrifice for them and enjoy them. Jump at the chance to spend time with them.
10. See the world. Take a chance to travel and appreciate God's creation.
11. Nurture friendships. Old friends are treasured friends--keep them close in your thoughts and don't let time or space separate you.
12. Go on dates with your spouse. Sit in a bookstore and give your wife all the time she needs to shop while you wait patiently. Drive across town just to see a new store. Take joy in each other.
13. No one is insignificant. Take a lonely man to lunch, give an elderly woman a ride to the hospital, visit those who mourn.
14. Honor your parents. Make them a priority in your life. Nurse them when they are sick or feeble.
15. Give God your life. Others will see His light shining in you and will know whose you are.

These are the lessons I learned watching him. May they inspire you as they have me. Just as the stone that is dropped into a lake leaves behind a series of ripples that broaden and reach across the water, the impact of one life lived for Christ leaves behind an influence for good that reaches the lives of many others.

2 comments:

  1. I thought of Daddy Jack when I saw you at the restaurant today. We miss him. I think of him often and one of those times is when I see a Sweet N Low packet. :) He made an impact on lots of lives.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious legacy your sweet dad left for his family, Debi! I'd say you learned his lessons well, dear friend. Thanks for the beautiful testament on a life, so well-lived! You must miss him everyday!

    Thanks so much for sharing!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete